We will be using Google Drive, a free workspace service with your Gmail account. Your Google Drive can hold photos/documents you’ve scanned on your phone or tablet or photos/documents that live on your computer.
Google Drive is available on both Android and Apple products. The best part of Google Drive? You can download directly from Google Drive to your Media Library!
Click the headings below for more on the topic.
Before we get started, first make sure you have downloaded Google Drive on your phone or tablet. To learn how to download apps to your device, please see links below:
Once it is downloaded, sign into the app with your gmail account. Then sign into your gmail account on your computer. From there, the order of operations from scanning to uploading on your PAL site is:
- Scan image or document.
- Upload to Google Drive on your phone or tablet.
- Edit or rename scanned image or document on your phone, tablet, or device.
- Upload to the PAL Site.
Once we’ve scanned our images/documents via the scanning app of our choice, we want to add them to our Google Drive.
Check out this tutorial that introduces you to how to get from your gmail to Google Drive, create folders and files, sharing with collaborators, and more.
Important Time Markers In the Tutorial:
- 15:00–15:27 Creating a New Folder
- 14:10–15:00 Renaming/Moving/Copying/Deleting a File/Folder/View File Details/Printing
- 15:58–17:04 Uploading a File from Camera Roll or Files App/Take a Photo
- 17:04–17:37 Creating a new Docs/Sheets/Slides Document
- This feature is great if you’re using Google Docs to write your blogs/Highlights
- 17:37–18:24 Uploading to Google Drive from Outside the App (Share Sheet)
- This is the step you want if you’re scanning on your device with a scanning app. Follow these steps but with the scanning app of your choice.
Please Note: This tutorial is focused using Google Drive on an iPad. However, the instructions will be the same regardless if it’s an iPhone or iPad, Apple or Android product.
Once we scan on our chosen scanning app and upload to Google Drive on our device, we can then view and edit what we’ve uploaded on our computer. Check out this tutorial that introduces you to how to get from your gmail to Google Drive, create folders and files, sharing with collaborators, and more.
We can also add files that live on our computer or USB Drive to our Google Drive. To do so:
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
- At the top left, click New ->File Upload
- Choose the file you want to upload.
You do not need to upload the files from your computer to your Google Drive, but if you would like to share your media with your Fellow and/or have everything in one place, uploading to your Drive might proof useful.
- If you are working with a Fellow, share your Google Folder with your Fellow so they can help you out.
- Tap on your PAL Google Folder, the one you just created.
- On the top right corner, tap “…”
- Tap “Share.”
- Enter the email address of your Fellow. It will come up underneath where you just typed. Tap on that.
- Tap the blue triangle pointing to the right in the bottom right corner.
For a brief tutorial on sharing your file or folder, click here.
To add media to The About Page, Mapping the Legacy, Highlights, and Look/Listen, you can directly upload your scanned and saved items to your Media Library using Google Drive.
Important Note: If you registered your site before September 2020, you may not have this feature. To add it, please submit a help request.
Below is a 5 minute video tutorial on importing media from your Google Drive: